Pumped waxes for the guard finials and for the bows… Need to make the castings now.
Will not be able to work in the shop for a few weeks. Will have to pick this up again when I can. But I am already reviewing Smart Dog’s tutorials on how to make a traveling case for these pistols. Can’t just stow them in a shoe box wrapped in dish towels….
…..and that means making a custom bullet mold, perhaps a powder flask, turn screws, loading rod, oil bottle, etc., etc……..this prroject may go on for another 50 yearsWell…. I had just enough time today to finish the butt cap finials. They are copies of the buttons on Naval uniforms….eagle, anchor, and 13 stars. Will do some engraving and border work when I get back.
I didn’t like the way the poured and rolled silver tail pieces for the trigger guards were coming out….I neglected to leave enough material to make the flair where they would attach to the bow. So I made a pattern in brass, made a mold, pumped the waxes, and cast the tails…..
Finishing up the trigger guards. I started by inletting the tail of each guard and intended to retain each tail with a single screw. But then I decided it would look better without the screw head showing. I had never installed a guard with a hook on the tail and thought this would be a good time to try it..... So I silver brazed a piece of sheet silver to both guards on the back and in the middle of the tails. Then I bent a couple of 5 penny nails into long staples and excavated a slot for the hooks. I installed the staples down in the inlets and then started to shape and fit the hooks. It took a while to do that last part without inadvertently making the hook engagements sloppy. With the tails inlet and hooked, I finished by inletting the forward finials and pinning their mounting tabs. Last step was to silver braze silver Naval Academy crests onto the bow of each guard. Haven’t decided if they need any additional engraving or not yet. If not, then just a little final polishing.
(thanks Daryl and Taylor
)…..Starting now to apply an oil finish to the stocks. The rosewood is so dark that they are coming out looking like ebony. A little darker than I would have liked but the wood gets a vote as well….especially when there is no stain applied.
Pistol stocks are on the rotisserie and are drying in the sun……




























No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.