Fort Pitt Powderhorn, ca 1758-1790
The engraved carving on this horn shows fortifications along Forbes' Road, the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers, and the British coat of arms. The five-bastioned Fort Pitt anchors the west end of Forbes Road. Other forts shown include Stone (Stoney Creek), Badford (Bedford) Littleton, and the Crossings. When the horn was shortened for a new plug, sections of it, and the coat of arms were removed.
Soldier's Journal from Bouquet's 1764 Expedition into Ohio, marked, "Journal commenced at Camp No. 1 on the North West Side of Alleghney River October 3, 1764".
"Bouquet March" is written inside the front cover.
Photos supplied by Contemporary Makers' European Correspondent, Manfred Schmitz.