This rifle has a 44 inch full octagon tapered and flared barrel. The barrel is charcoal blued and is inlaid with a silver signature plate engraved in script “J.D. Laubach at Wmsbg. Va. 1977”. Near the breech on the left side of the barrel is a silver inlaid stamp with a hammer in hand, the mark of the Colonial Williamsburg gun shop. The hand-forged flint lock with its fire-blued finish is engraved with borders and foliage. The curly maple stock is relief carved, molded, and inlaid with engraved silver inlays and silver wire. The quality of the relief carving and of the silver wire inlay work is outstanding. The rifle is made in the late eighteenth century style typical of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. The brass mounts are decorated with facets, moldings and engraving. The silver wrist inlay is engraved “C.E.S.”. Jon Laubach, born in Allentown, Pa. in 1946, apprenticed to Wallace Gusler at the Colonial Williamsburg gun shop. He finished his apprenticeship under Gary Brunfield in 1974. Jon continued in the gun shop until 1988. CONDITION: This rifle is basically as new throughout and is of the high quality associated with the very desirable rifles made in the Colonial Williamsburg Gun Shop.
Copy and images from James Julia.